Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ramadan in Turkey


Ramadan is is full swing here in Turkey. First thing I notice is how different it is here compared to Jordan. In Jordan, every restaurant was closed during the day for the month. It was illegal to eat or drink on the streets (even if you didn't get fined by the police, I think the dirty looks and comments from peers would be bad enough). Here, being a secular government, life and work goes on as usual. I would say that more people keep the fast than don't, but as one person told me "I don't do Ramadan in the summer", which I can completely understand. To go without water in 100+ heat sounds almost demonic to me. Our poor friend Ali, who is our language tutor, rides his bike to our house in the heat and can't drink a cool glass of water when he gets here. We have offered to have classes at his house but he declines saying "It's more enjoyable here, my mother isn't around always watching" Oh to be a teenager.
The thing I am always surprised by is how blatant some people are with not keeping the fast. I see people just munching on some food and drinking sodas right on the sidewalk, or in buses. Its crazy.
Fasting or not, Ramadan (its actually called Ramazan in Turkey, no idea why) is a special month of purifying yourself with God. Please keep the Turks in your prayers this month, the our Father would reveal Himself to those who seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment