Friday, June 10, 2011

Gettin' our Picnic on



So as we are here in Turkey, a few cultural observations I have made.
1. Turks have a much higher tolerance for heat than I do.
2. They love them some picnics

Picnics are the thing to do here during the summer. Whether its grabbing a snack on a blanket in the park or spending the day out in the woods, the Turks are serious about picnics. Its so popular that I have met many people who speak zero English but somehow know the word picnic.
Lisa and I were invited by a friend of ours to go to his parents village and spend the days out in the woods having a picnic. What a great time we had! It didn't really matter that we don't speak much Turkish or that they didn't speak much English we all spoke the international language of the picnic. That is enjoy some food, relax and enjoy the fresh air.


Oh yeah, Turkish couples love to take cheesy pictures of themselves.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, hee hee, we Americans don't take cheesy pictures of ourselves... (here I would insert any number of our many super cheesy pictures, but I am not quite sure how to do that! :))

    Good to "see" you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...Turkey sounds like my kinda place in the summer then!! What do they eat at these picnics! Glad to hear you're enjoying the good life over there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picnics sound like fun to me! What type of food do they eat? We're doing lots of grilling here in Orlando too!! Hey, BTW the word I had to type in to verify that I wasn't some crazy spam guy was: binge So...don't go on a "picnic binge" while you're in Turkey! What's the Turkish word for "binge"??

    ReplyDelete