Monday, December 29, 2008

What a Trip

Here in Jordan Lisa and I don't own a car, because of this we are either required to walk everywhere or take some sort of public transportation. Here in Amman there is a transit vehicle called a service taxi. They are basicly a car sized bus, they wait at one stop, wait for four people to fill up the car, then drive to the end of their route. The other day I was taking a ride in the service when two other guys joined me in the back seat. About half way through our route, the two men and our driver started arguing with each other about politics. The driver eventually became so angry at what the two men were saying that he pulled over gave me back my money and told me to get out so that he could fight the two other patrons. This wouldn't have been so bad, if the driver remembered about my heater I was taking home that I put in the trunk. So there I was in the middle of pushing and shoving and insults flying wondering how I should go about informing the driver about my predicament. So finally I busted in the fray and told the driver that I wanted my heater in the back, to which all three people stopped and stared at me. The driver opened the back and the other two helped me get the heater out, apoligized for making me carry it up the hill, and then preceeded to continue the fight. It was a funny snapshot of the overwhelming since of hospitality people have around here even if its in a middle of a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment